Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Barcelona & Riviera Cruise: Days 8 & 9

When your day starts out docked in Sardinia and you're eating a chocolate torte and drinking a cappuccino, it really doesn't matter that this was one of the worst ports I've ever been too...

This much chocolate before 9:00 AM can make even the worst port look fantastic.


So, here's the thing about Sardinia.  I have ported dozens of times and traveled a lot...I was just not impressed with this destination.  We only had half a day here before we began our long voyage back to Spain, so Andrew and I hopped off the ship bright and early to make the most of our short port visit.  About 3 minutes into it, I told Andrew that we should have slept in.  

It was clean, it was full of friendly people, there was just nothing to do.  At all.  As we were researching our vacation prior to departing, we realized this port didn't offer a lot, so we weren't shocked...but we made the best of it.  There were a few streets to stroll, so that's me strolling.  They had one random toy store with big dinosaurs in the window, so of course, I had to buy Smith one.  


We enjoyed the scenery and the time together.


I walked past this one athletic store and look what I found in the window!  Even the people of Sardinia know that the Red Sox rule baseball.

We had a lovely day but when it was time to board the ship, we weren't too sad to leave.  We headed back and I did this...

...sat on our balcony and read.  And Andrew did this...

...sprained his ankle.


So, I'm sitting in our cabin reading a book, watching the world go by on our ship when all of a sudden, Andrew limps into our cabin and says he thinks he sprained his ankle.  I look down and see this elephant ankle and I'm like, "really, you think?".  Being the sensitive wife that I am, the first thing I say is "we have two great ports ahead of us, how are you going to walk?" because I'm so selfless.  And being the overly-tough ex-football playing guy that he is, he says, "It's fine.  It's no big deal.".  And this is why our marriage will last.  I was thinking about myself and he was lying about the pain...that's 10 years of marriage right there ;).

After I realized that it looked broken and he actually looked like he might have been in pain (even though he didn't admit it), we limped him down to the bottom deck of the ship where the medic was.  Let me just say, it was so impressive seeing how they operate down there that I kind of wanted to see an actual emergency take place just to watch those people spring into action.  A great episode of ER could have been filmed in that medic's station...it was fancy!  The nurse looked super excited to see us (perhaps their first patient of the trip???) but all we needed was some ice and an Ace Bandage, so she helped us with that and looked a little disappointed that they weren't going to get to amputate or something.  

And for the rest of the trip...and a week back home after...Andrew walked around with a sprained ankle that had him swollen and bruised from his toes to almost his knee.


 But being the tough guy that he is, he didn't let that stop him.  You never would have known that he had an injury...unless you looked down at his swollen elephant leg.

On our day at sea morning, the captain had said that we would be stopping for immigration in Tunise, Tunisia before proceeding back to Spain.  At 6:00 AM, I was asleep when all of a sudden, I heard this constant drum noise.  I got up and looked over my balcony to see this.  Men sitting on camels and men with drums welcoming us to Tunisia.  They drummed and celebrated for almost 2 hours.

See the drummers and camels?  It was so interesting and fun to watch!


After we departed Tunisia, I found myself in this position for the rest of the day.


We got cleaned up and headed out to dinner.  One of us wore heels and one of us limped...you decide.

Next up, our last two days in Spain.  If you missed the last post on Portofino, Italy, click here.  And for days 10, 11 and 12, click here.

And if you missed my post on Tuesday where I recapped all of my vacation essentials, you should really check it out!  Based on the emails and comments I've received, you guys loved this post.


For example, these Steve Madden boots here, got a lot of feedback from you guys!  I'm in love with them, and apparently, you are too!


 I love, love, love hearing feedback!  You guys are the very best!

Check out my Breakfast Sausage Cups this morning too...


They're perfect for weekends!


Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment