Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Fifty Two Shades of Shay: Beachy Hair


This is me...


...and this is how I wear my hair.  There is only one word to describe this mess...beachy.  (Which is just a really polite way of saying kind of messy, with no real rhyme or reason.)

During high school and college, I really, really, really wanted my hair to look like this...

Cher from Clueless

or like this...

Rachel from Friends

but it usually just looked like this...

Monica from Friends when her hair met the humidity 


No matter how many products I used, how much heat I applied, or time I spent in the bathroom, I never had the results I wanted.  Then right after I got married, I met my new hairstylist (and now my dear, dear friend) Jojean who told me right off the bat a few very important things:

1. I had a lot of natural wave in my hair that I was overlooking because I was too busy blow drying it and then flat ironing the heck out of it.

2. I needed to be able to do my hair in 10 minutes because any longer than that is just ridiculous.

3. I needed to embrace the hair I had and stop trying to change it.

Wow.  That last point really hit home.  

So, for the last 10 years, I have really tried to embrace the hair I have.  And whether my hair looks decent or not isn't really the point...I am just so darn worry-free because even on bad hair days, at least I know my hair is doing the best it can...and I'm not wasting my time trying to make it something it's not.

That's my biggest hair advice to you...embrace the hair you have.  If your hair is super curly, leave it!  If your hair is fine, own it!  If your hair is thick, stop trying to get hair cuts for hair that's not as thick...just own your hair type...and embrace it.  This doesn't mean you'll always have good hair days...it just means you won't constantly be fighting a losing battle...because that's just exhausting.

So...because you guys asked me, I am going to tell you how I do my hair on a daily basis.  This is what works for me, if you think your hair is similar to mine (thick with some wave), it might work for you too.  First, a few little facts about my hair:

1. I have been getting highlights since I was 12.  My mom let me get two little highlights when I went with her one time at the age of 12 and I haven't stopped since.  After 20 years of highlighting, I have no idea what color hair I really have..probably light brown or really dirty blonde.  But what you see isn't what God grew out of the top of my head.  It's what Jojean put on.

2. I try and only wash my hair every 2 to 3 days.  If I swim, I wash it that night but other than that, I personally think my hair looks its best if it's only washed a few times a week.  I love this dry shampoo to use on days when I haven't washed my hair...


It smells great, it's inexpensive, and it doesn't make my hair crunchy or gunky at the top.

3. I only blow dry my hair about 10 times a year.  Yes.  And maybe not even that many.  My hair just doesn't look great blow dried.  It gets dry, brittle, not good.  I would say 90% of the time, I wash my hair at night and go to sleep with it wet.  I use this shampoo and conditioner...

I have tried every shampoo/conditioner combo out there.  Seriously.  I have tried $3 a bottle stuff and then one time (because I had completely lost my mind), I tried $45 a bottle stuff.  But Moroccanoil Moisture Repair is what I've decided works best for me.  I use a quarter size amount of the shampoo, wash it out, then apply a quarter size amount of conditioner and leave it in while I shave/wash up, etc., then I wash it out very last.

When I get out of the shower, I comb my hair out with a giant pick that looks like this...


I honestly think it was $1 at my grocery store.

Then, I apply this...

Sebatian Potion 9...this is like the best stuff ever!  I read about it on Pinterest (what did we do before Pinterest?!),  and the reviews were out of this world, so I bought a bottle.  I just rake a quarter size amount through my wet hair and that's it!  Since I sleep with my hair wet, I then twist it up into a bun and finish out my night and then go to sleep with it twisted up.  

The next morning, when I wake up, my hair is dry and I style according to my mood/ how much wave I want.  Here are my two options:

1. Sometimes, I don't want the beachy wave and so I throw hot rollers in (yes, hello 1992!).  I love hot rollers because I can stick them in, get ready, get my kids ready, do all of my morning stuff and then pull them out right before I leave.  I use basic old cheap curlers with 3 different sizes (big curlers go around my face and smaller curlers go toward the back of my head).  I use these right here:

These hot rollers are only $19.99 and will last you forever!    Right before I put them in, I put a quarter size amount of this on my clean strands:

It's the basic Moroccanoil to help tame frizz and maximize shine.  Any type of Argan/Moroccan oil will work.

Then, after I pull them out, I just mess the curls up a little with my hand (so they're not too perfect), spray with this hairspray:


No, I'm not getting paid by Moroccanoil (I wish I were!), I just really like their products!  If you don't want to pay for this (or can't find it), another great hairspray is this:


This is found at all grocery stores.  I just really like a hairspray that you can comb out if you need to and that doesn't feel sticky or crunchy.  Both of the above do just that (plus they hold your hair style!).


Now, here is option 2 for me in the morning if I want the beachy waves...

2. When I wake up, I pull my hair out of the bun and again, put on a quarter size amount of this...


...to make sure my waves are smooth and frizz-free.

3. Then I take this fabulous product...


...Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray and spritz it in my hair while scrunching up and tousling the waves.  You can use this spray on wet hair but I really like it on my dry hair.  It gives you that "I just came from the beach and my hair is a little salty" look.  I don't use a ton...you'll know when to stop.

4. If my hair still needs a little oomph or a little polish, I then use this guy, to help...

I am in love with my BaByliss Nano 1" curling iron.  I have tried a gazillion curling irons and this one is the absolute best.  Trust me.  You will love this!  I take a few sections and twist them up to give me just a little extra something.

5. And then I spray my hair with this...


...to set everything.


That's it!  That's how I do my hair (well...when it's not up in a ponytail or bun!).  If I do blow dry my hair (on that rare occasion), I just do everything above but instead of twisting it into a bun, I dry it with a diffuser and the proceed once it's dry.

I have a feeling you're going to ask questions...I just do.  And that's fine!  I will answer all of them!

The best part about the beachy waves is that they look better on day 2...so try not to wash them out right away!

Thanks for stopping by today!!  I can't wait for your questions :).

And don't forget, embrace the hair God gave you (with maybe a highlight or two extra!).

Speaking of embracing...you should totally embrace my
Butterscotch Neiman Marcus Bars...


The recipe is up on my food blog today...easy and fabulous!  Perfect for a summer pool party (or just a random Tuesday).

Have a great day everyone!!

Find me on Twitter here.
Find me on Face Book here.
Find me on Pinterest here.
Find me on Instagram  @mixandmatchmama



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment