Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fifty Two Shades of Shay: Shorts


The concept of Fifty Two Shades of Shay is to show you little parts of my life...little things that make me, me.  

If you were to poll my friends and ask them to describe what I wear on a daily basis, they would say shorts, wedges, bangles...every.single.time.  I know who I am, I know what works for me, and so I wear it every day.  Today, we're going to get to the short of it.  Ladies, we're talking about shorts...don't be scared.  I think I'm going to help you...

Here's the thing about shorts...they really can make you look great!.  They can make your legs look longer, they can make you look more relaxed, they can make you look younger, shorts are the most underused staple in your closet.  Trust me!  And the shorter you are, the shorter your shorts should be (it's all about creating the illusion of long legs).  I'm 5'3"...so I wear shorter shorts to make me look taller.  The shorter the hemline, the more skin it shows and thus creating this illusion that my legs are longer and that I'm taller...its' a fabulous trick!  

I know you're skeptical, so I pulled some images from Pinterest to show you these ladies rockin' their shorts...






It's all about proportion.  Shorter shorts, looser, longer layers on top and then longer shorts, shorter sleeves, more fitted on top.  You can wear shorts.  You can.

Here are my rules for shorts:
1. Buy some with a little stretch to them...tight shorts are not flattering or comfortable!
2. Buy colored shorts to make any outfit seem more fresh and new.
3. Darker denim shorts never go out of style.
4. Avoid big pockets, jewels and bedazzled shorts...keep them simple.
5. I love a wedge with my shorts but sandals and flats are just as cute!

Since I'm the Queen of Shorts, I thought I'd show you my favorites.  They're not all short shorts...I have some longer ones in there as well...


My absolute favorite shorts...the J Crew Chino (and they're on sale now too!).  They come in 3 different hem lengths and 14 colors.  The 3 inch are my favorites...but you might also want to check out the 4 inch  and the 5 inch too.

Patterns are really trendy right now...and they definitely make a boring old pair of shorts more fun!  These are a few of my favorite patterned shorts...

I love the polka dots!


The navy ones have a slightly longer hemline.


These shorts just scream "summer!".  And they come in 4 other fun prints too!


These fun "boyfriend" shorts come in a variety of colors too.


I wear these shorts all the time!  They have the perfect amount of stretch in them and are so comfy!


These shorts are great because you can roll them up or down depending on how short you want them.


And let's face it...you just don't get more classic than this.


Ok?  Are you still unsure?  I have gathered the shorts section from my favorite retailers and put the links below...surely, we can find something for you!  And bonus...most of them are on sale :).



Click here for all of Loft's shorts.



Click here for all of Gap's shorts.



Click here for all of J Crew's shorts.



Click here for all of Old Navy's shorts.



Click here for all of Nordstrom's shorts.


So that's me.  I'm Shay and I wear shorts.  A lot.  

Some of you have been asking what's coming up on Fifty Two Shades of Shay...so, I'll tell you...

Beachy Hair
Favorite magazines
Favorite cookbooks
Favorite kitchen gadgets
Bracelets
Packing for a trip
Laundry, dishes and over-all cleaning
Organizing/saving kids' clothes

Thanks for stopping by today!  Don't forget to head on over to my foodie blog...I made Root Beer Chicken Tostadas for dinner...they were easy and delicious!



And my Lulu & Georgia Giveaway is still going on!  Click here for details.

Find me on Twitter here.
Find me on Face Book here.
Find me on Pinterest here.
Find me on Instagram  @mixandmatchmama


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment