Saturday, December 28, 2013

CrockPot Broccoli Casserole Recipe


Day 226.

I spent some time (three hours!) the other day reading through the archives of Alanna Kellogg's blog, A Veggie Venture. I didn't realize that her Vegetable site started as a year-long project to make something with vegetables everyday. She has so many neat ideas--if you ever find yourself wondering what to do with any kind of veggie, she will have you covered with her A-Z vegetable guide. I'm excited to try out more of her recipes in the crockpot.

The Ingredients.

--2 pounds of fresh broccoli, washed and trimmed (I only really like the florets)
--1/3 cup flour (I used Pamela's)
--1/4 tsp kosher salt
--1/4 tsp black pepper
--1/2 tsp ground mustard
--1 cup low fat or fat free milk
--1 cup chicken broth (but if you're vegetarian that would be wrong, so you should use veggie broth)
--1 cup shredded yummy white cheese (I used Fontina, Alanna used provolone, I think swiss or gouda would be great, too)
--Parmesan cheese--enough to cover the top. I didn't measure this. 1/4 cup? maybe more?

The Directions.

I used a 4 quart round crockpot for this. Everything fit in nicely.

Wash and trim the broccoli and give the trimmings to the guinea pigs. They will squeal in delight.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and dried mustard. Toss the broccoli in the mixture. Dump the broccoli into the crockpot.

Cover with 1 cup of whatever shredded cheese you are going to use. Add the milk and the chicken broth.
Top with Parmesan cheese.

Cook on low for about 6 hours, or on high for about 3-4. This is done when the broccoli reaches desired tenderness and begins to brown a bit around the edges.

The Verdict.

My kids loved this. LOVED it. They each ate 3 little plastic bowls for dinner and had more the next day for lunch.

they do like broccoli a lot though... so I don't know if this is enough to sway kids who can't stand broccoli.

but it's very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment