Sunday, December 29, 2013

CrockPot Stewed Tomatoes


Day 221.

A hundred million years ago before we had children, Adam and I went to a really fancy restaurant and they served us stewed tomatoes as a side dish. Being the classy folk we are, we immediately began poking fun at how we were spending a bunch of money on canned tomatoes. Then we started in on baby animal hearts.

we're just lovely people, I tell you...

but! Then we tasted them. The tomatoes were delicious. Warm, flavorful, and a bit spicy.

The Ingredients.

--2 cans of whole plum tomatoes (28 oz cans), drained (I used the kind that had basil in them already)
--1/4 t ground black pepper
--1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
--5 T butter, sliced

The Directions.

I used a 4qt round crockpot for this dish. If you only have a huge crockpot, keep an eye on it so the tomatoes don't burn, or double the recipe.

Drain the tomatoes--use a strainer--you don't need any of the can liquid. Plop the tomatoes into the crockpot. Sprinkle on the ground black pepper. Add the Parmesan cheese. Slice your butter into thin squares, and dot them over the top of the cheese.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or until cheese is bubbly and is beginning to brown.

The Verdict.

so so good. I really liked these, a lot. I'm not a big tomato eater; I take them out of sandwiches usually,and I don't use ketchup on french fries. I am surprised, REALLY surprised, how much I like tomatoes this way.

I ate them for dinner, instead of as a side dish.

The kids didn't come close to attempting a bite. I blame the baby animal heart conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment