Monday, December 30, 2013

Clean Out the Pantry CrockPot Chili


Day 212.

Some of the recipes I've done this year have been a bit out of the norm for me. One of the reasons I love crockpot cooking so much is that you don't really need to follow a recipe---many times I can just start opening cans and clean out the fridge and create a delicious meal without trying.


This is one of those meals.

We had too much food in the house for me to feel comfortable buying more, so I dug through what we had on hand, threw it in the pot, held my breath, and hoped for the best.

I was quite happy with the results.

I urge you to do the same in your house. Just play. Dig through the cubbard and see if what you already have on hand can be combined to become a new family favorite.

Cooking should be fun. When preparing dinner becomes a chore --and it's no longer fun-- that's when you reach for the phone to call for pizza.
The reason the crockpot has become such an invaluable tool in our house, is because I can make-do (usually. this year has turned a tad bit nutty) with pantry staples, or with meat I buy on clearance.

You can, too.

The Ingredients.


2 cans (6oz) tomato paste
3 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I used garbanzo, white kidney, black beans)
1 tables spoons Italian seasoning
1 chopped yellow onion

2 cloves chopped or minced garlic

2 cups broth (I used chicken. vegetable would work great)
1 to 2 tablespoons (heaping) sliced jalapenos from a jar or can (optional)  (NOTE: if feeding small children, add at the table ---it was too hot for my kids when cooked with the beans)

The Directions.


Open cans. Rinse the beans, and dump them into the crockpot. Add all the rest of the stuff---there aren't any rules, here.

Except to recycle the cans.


Cook on low for 8-10 hours.



The Verdict.


This was too spicy for the kids, but Adam and I really liked it a lot, and each had two bowls. We had it with cornbread, that
you could make in the crockpot, if you wanted to.

I liked this. I needed to get back to my crockpot cooking "roots"---and it felt nice for me to make things up as I go along again.


related:
clean-out-the-pantry minestrone soup
lazy chicken
fried rice
marinated meat

No comments:

Post a Comment