Sunday, December 29, 2013

Creamy Corn and Spinach Enchiladas CrockPot Recipe




Day 222.

recipe updated in Make it Fast, Cook it Slow to: 2 cups enchilada sauce, and to layer the tortillas with the filling. mmm!


It's the two hundred and twenty-second day of the year, the day after 8/8/8. That means today is good luck, too.

I've just decided.

Way back on the 9th day of the year, I threw together an enchilada casserole that was really good, and I've been meaning to do regular enchiladas ever since. We had some leftover brisket, so I used that as the filling---but you could use rotisserie chicken meat, PORK, or leave it vegetarian.

Enchiladas are very versatile.

The Ingredients.

--1 can (14.5 oz) creamed corn
--1 cup shredded already-cooked meat
--1 cup baby spinach leaves
--1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
--2 T chopped sliced jalapenos
--1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used a packaged Mexican blend)

--1 can (28 oz) green enchilada sauce
--2/3 cup sour cream
--corn tortillas
--more shredded cheese

The Directions.

I used a 6qt Smart-Pot for this. You can easily use a 4qt, but instead of making each enchilada separately, you can just stack the ingredients in a casserole.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded meat, creamed corn, cilantro, spinach leaves, jalapenos, and shredded cheese. Mix. You may need to use your hands to get the spinach leaves really wilty and coated with the creamed corn.

This is your enchilada filling.

Put a corn tortilla out on the counter, and plop a spoon full of filling in the center. Roll into an enchilada shape and put it seam-side down in your crockpot. Repeat until you run out of filling. I used 10 corn tortillas before I ran out. I stacked them to fit.

Either wash your mixing bowl, or get out another. Combine the green sauce with the 2/3 cup of sour cream. This is optional, I guess, but it tastes really good.

Pour the sauce on top of your enchiladas. Add a few handfuls of shredded cheese for good measure.

Cover and cook on high for 2-4 hours, or on low for 5-7.
I cooked ours on low for 8 hours and it was too long. Everything got really mushy.

Let stand for 20 minutes with the lid off before cutting into.

The Verdict.

This tastes amazing. It looks disgusting. I'd like to tell you what I think it looks like, but Adam is standing over my shoulder and making me delete.

It tastes wonderful. Really wonderful.

But if you use as much sauce as I did, it will fall apart on you. I'd love to make this again and use about half the sauce, and maybe vent the lid a bit with a toothpick to see if the enchiladas keep their shape.

or I'd just layer it all in and not spend the time making separate enchiladas. But even then, I'd probably only use 2 cups of liquid.

But all in all, this tasted amazing and we all liked it, a lot. The sweetness of the corn balanced the slight spiciness of the jalapenos nicely, and all four of us cleaned our plate.

And if you plate it with some fancy garnishes, it instantly looks much, much better. I learned that from Food Gawker.

No comments:

Post a Comment