Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Jalapeno Corn Pudding CrockPot Recipe


Day 241.

I've never had corn pudding before. There are a lot of things I've never had before. I don't seem to get out much. I'm working on it.

The kids and I went to the library with my mom last week and I checked out a bunch of cooking books and magazines. One of the books was on Southern Cooking, and I xeroxed a corn pudding with chiles recipe. When I went to make it yesterday, I realized I didn't have a few of the listed ingredients, and wasn't in the mood for heavy cream and a bunch of butter.

So I tweaked. The finished result is sweet and velvety with a tangy-spicy kick. If I wasn't badly sunburned, I'd give myself a pat on the back.

The Ingredients.

--2 cups of frozen or fresh corn kernels (I used frozen, 1 cup regular corn, and 1 cup roasted)
--2 T unsalted butter, melted
--1 cup milk (2% or lower)
--2 eggs
--2 T white sugar
--2 T flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
--1 tsp baking powder (I omitted this because Bob's has it in there already)
--1/2 tsp Kosher salt
--2 T jalapeno pepper slices, chopped
--1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

The Directions.

I used a 4 quart round crockpot for this recipe. It was a good size.

Spray the inside of your crockpot with cooking spray. Melt the butter in the microwave and put it in. Add milk, eggs, salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Whisk the ingredients together. Stir in the corn kernels, cheese, and chopped jalapenos.

Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours. This is cooked through when the edges brown and begin to pull from the sides and the center is set. Take the lid off for 20-30 minutes when set and continue to cook on low to get rid of the added condensation.

I cooked our pudding for exactly 4 hours on low, then let it cook for another 20 with the lid off.

The Verdict.

Adam and I loved this. The kids had plenty of leftover food in the house to munch on---but did try a spoonful or two with the jalapenos removed. Adam and I had this alongside a spinach salad.
This would be a welcome addition to a holiday dinner or potluck supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment