Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fifty Two Shades of Shay: Get Dressed Every Day...with Pin-spired!


Hi.  My name is Shay...and I used to wear yoga pants.  A lot.  But I rarely ever did yoga.

Here's the thing...I worked in the corporate world for 8 years before having Kensington.  For almost a decade, I purchased mainly "work clothes".  You know, slacks, blouses, pencil skirts and such.  I had some weekend clothes but primarily, I wore work clothes the majority of the time.  Then I had a baby.  Then 16 months and 3 days later, I had another baby.  Then one day it dawned on me...when was the last time I actually got dressed during the week?  And I vowed to change.  That was about four years ago...and oh my goodness...I'm so glad I did!

I remember my "aha" moment (as Oprah would say)...I was in Target, throwing Mossimo hoodies and cute little yoga pants into my cart when I looked over and saw this cute little flannel shirt hanging next to the sweatshirts.  I checked the price and it was the exact same price as the hoodie but waaaaaaay cuter!  And then I thought about the fact that not only was it cuter but it looked really comfy and provided the same amount of warmth.  Two different garments for two different looks but at the same price.  From that day forward, I ditched the hoodies and sweats (except for in my home, of course!) and made a more conscientious effort to get my self together every day.  And you know what?  I feel amazing!

Oprah would be so proud of me!


I'm not saying you can never wear comfy clothes outside of the home...I'm just saying that next time you're like me and you're considering investing in more comfy clothes, look around and ask yourself, "Shouldn't I be spending money on clothes that actually make me look dressed?". 

So what should we wear?  Thank goodness we have wonderful Pinterest to inspire us mamas!  Getting dressed has never been simpler thanks to the plethora of ideas Pinterest has for busy mamas.  Here are some famous moms who look pulled together without wearing anything fancy...


They all have on basics (that would fit any shape and size): jeans, scarves, jackets, cute accessories and basic tees.  

So, I'm merging my two favorite series into one today...Pin-spired (where we take images from Pinterest and recreate them) and Fifty Two Shades of Shay (where I give you the scoop on little details about my life).  Here we go...getting dressed...mom style...

You need a fun coat. 

I'm kind of obsessed with my new plaid coat.  I saw it on Big Mama's blog and it was love at first sight.  Kind of like the first time I saw Michael Buble...love...at first site.  I ordered it from this online boutique called Tulle and have zero complaints!  It was sized right and came quickly.  Check out this coat and several other really cute ones on Tulle (click on clothes, outwear, coats to find this one and many more!).

I can't tell you how many times just putting a fun coat on can make me feel dressed (and it can totally hide the yoga pants you might be wearing underneath it!).  This is totally a Pin-spired thing...

...jeans and a basic tee look so much more polished with a big fun coat on top.  You don't have to go all crazy with plaid like I did...you can opt for a nice bright solid too.  I like these solids as well...

This red peacoat comes in 3 other colors and they're all 50% off right now!

Click here to see other coats that are all 50% off right now.  This is the season to buy outerwear (and have it ready for next fall!).

Something else I learned for Pinterest involving my mom style...stripes and a scarf always pull a look together...

Such a mom outfit (in a good way!): jeans, flats, studs, a big bag, striped shirt and scarf.  Apparently, Erika and I both love this method...

...this was us the other day at Dry Bar.  We're both in stripes, we both had on scarves (she was holding hers at the time) and she's wearing a colorful coat. 

 The fringe scarf I'm wearing above is sold out in that color but you can find it's "cousin" here in black.

I tell you guys this all the time...this leopard scarf is THE BEST.  The very best!  And it's only $18!  Throw that over a basic tee shirt and you're dressed!  See...

...striped tee and that fabulous scarf!


I really love all of these scarves for throwing over tees...

Turquoise Scarf, Striped Scarf (now 50% off), Fringe Scarf (available in 6 colors) 


And speaking of tees...nothing is better for moms than a t-shirt.

I told you ladies about this shirt last week and you have sent me CRAZY GOOD feedback!  Everyone seems to love this basic tee available in so many fun colors.  I bought all 4 of these colors because I know I'll wear them all year long.  They'll layer well plus, they'll look cute with my shorts too.  Love these shirts!

I also bought this shirt (but sorry I haven't taken a picture of myself in it yet) and think it's super cute too!  


Isn't this shirt cute?!  Plus, it's not a thin material.  It's a really nice cotton material (make sense?).  I think you'll be really, really pleased!  And in all of these Gap shirts, I buy true to size.

Don't forget, now is the time to spend your GapCash!  Don't forget to use it!

And you guys know how much I LOVE these Gap jeans!  They are my very, very, very favorite!  Right now, they're on sale for only $49!  

And I just got these Gap distressed jeans yesterday and am already in love.  You don't have to cuff them...I just did.  They would tuck nicely into boots or look good with flats.  I wore them all day today with my booties.  Love!

 And to finish off my post today...shoes.  Mom shoes.

Listen...I wear heels.  I am a heels and wedges kind of girl...but I know most moms are not.  I have found some really cute (and very practical) mom shoes that won't make you reach for those old Nikes.   

How many times do we see this on Pinterest...


...Toms.  I may be a heels kind of girl but I do love me some Toms.  Such a cute way to throw on sneakers without looking like you are about to hit the gym.  Here are some of my favorites right now:

I love the red Toms!  But honestly...all of the solid colors are really practical and cute!


These multi-colored Toms are super cute too!


And Zebra...nothing says sassy mama like zebra print Toms.

I really love all of these too...



And for some other fun shoes...

These are great booties for those mamas that want a little heel.  And they're on sale now too!



And you know how I feel about my Wellies...I love them.  I love them so much.  And it doesn't have to rain to wear them...they work on any old day.  The new Jade color is pretty awesome too :).


OK...and I just now (I know...years late) jumped on the Sperry bandwagon.  I bought these and love them!  Not only are they super cute but they are comfortable!  Love, love, love!


So there you have it!  My Shade of Shay plus Pin-spired all rolled into one!  Don't get dressed up for other people...get dressed for yourself.  YOU will feel so much better knowing you took a little time for yourself.  Being a mom is hard work!  We need to reward ourselves with a good shower and a pair of pants without elastic sometimes.  

Don't forget to check out Sheaffer and Mel's Pin-spired creations today!!

And link up below!

Today...I'm showing you my super simple S'mores Bar!  This would be fun for Super Bowl entertaining too!  (You don't have to melt your s'mores outside...you could melt them inside while you watch football too!)


Click here to see my S'mores Bar!

Happy Friday!  On Monday...it's a Pajama Party Day!! Woohoo!



























No comments:

Post a Comment