Thursday, October 31, 2013

On the 11th Day of Christmas: I started organizing with you!


On the 11th Day of Christmas, I started sharing some organization tips to help you get ready for the new year!

Beginning in January girls, we're getting organized.  My 52 Shades of Shay posts will be about organizing your desk, your closet, your photos, your scrapbook, your calendar, your pantry...YOUR LIFE!  I may have a lot of flaws (many!) but there's one thing I am...ORGANIZED.  And I want you to be too!

So, we're starting today with help from my good friend Erin Condren and we're organizing your day planner (at this point, my mother needs to really focus, the other day, I was telling her how we had 3 parties the first 5 days of January and then I asked her if she had a calendar and she said no...listen up mama!).  And this day planner business is totally a Shade of Shay (so this is a double-duty post!).

Right now, you're either totally clueless or totally excited...it all depends on if you know who Erin Condren is...

Collage courtesy of 4 You with Love

...Erin Condren is the queen of all things organized, whimsical, practical and FUN!  I could go on and on about how much I love her stuff...but today, I'm focusing on her Life Planners.  This is mine...

...I love, love, love mine!  Every year when mine arrives, I get giddy with excitement!  Now, you know me...my year runs August to July (because that's how my brain works...the beginning of school, will always be the beginning of the year in my head)...and the fabulous thing about Erin Condren is that you get to make your Life Planner fit your calendar year!  I picked the cover that includes photos but there are also some really pretty pre-designed covers you can chose from too.  Click here to see all of your options.

So, how is this planner a Shade of Shay?  Because my entire life is inside.  This is my right-hand man that keeps my family and me organized!  Take a peak inside...

...I had to show you blank pages in mine because I write so much personal info all over it!  I write down recipes, travel plans for clients, our personal finances, notes about what I'm going to bring to parties (food and such), reminders...everything is written in here!  I use Erin's special markers that don't bleed through and my book is full of color coded details (my travel clients' info is written in orange, Mix and Match Mama stuff is in blue, birthdays are in red, etc.).  I love that it has a "keep it together" folder for all of our party invites, it comes with reminder stickers, a ruler...so much!  This little planner can totally help get your life in order this 2014.

Here are my thoughts on day planners verses planners on electronic devises...

1. I'm already on my phone way too much, I don't need to be checking it even more often to see my schedule.

2. For some reason writing things down on paper makes me remember it more.

3. I love crossing things off in my planner once the task is accomplished...it's a feeling of productivity.

4. I like how this planner has folders to keep things like invites and such grouped together (my phone can't do that).

5. I can talk on my phone and go through my calendar at the same time (something Sheaffer and I do often as we're organizing our blogs).

6. There are note pages in the back of the planner where I keep Christmas lists, party ideas, recipe ideas, banking information...seriously, my entire life.  I love having those notes and lists right next to my calendar.

Everyone is different, but for me...this day planner keeps me super organized and together.  

To celebrate this Shade of Shay and our 11th Day of Christmas, we are giving away one $200 Erin Condren gift card and one $50 Erin Condren gift card.  Woohoo!!!  It's time to ORGANIZE!

To see everything Erin Condren, click here.   

We've had such a busy and full last few days!  A new Shull family tradition is participating in our church's Christmas Journey.  Andrew has done it several years but this was mine and the kids first time.  Christmas Journey is our church's drive-thru nativity.  It requires 1000 cast members from our church, live animals (like horses, camels, donkeys, etc), fire pits, huge sets that they start building Labor Day, very realistic costumes...it's amazing!  We had around 15,000 cars drive through in 4 nights.  My family participated the first 2 nights and it was really special...

Cutest.shepherd boy.ever.


And then this was Smith by the end of the night.  

You're constantly on stage (there are about 15 scenes with stages that each car drives by one at a time while listening to the Christmas message on a CD  that we've given them at the front gate).  At 8:20, Smith came up to me, lifted his arms and said, "I'm ready to go to sleep Mommy".  I picked him up and he went right to sleep.  So, I acted out my scene the remaining 40 minutes with sleeping Smith.  This was us walking back to the car.

And then this is my sweet little villager.  Love my girl.

On Saturday morning, we got up and headed to the mall to meet the family!


I love how they stood there for such a long time chatting.  They're so sweet together :).


Their favorite part of the weekend...having their balloon animals made!  They have played and played and played with these things!


My girl and me at Starbucks...the perfect way to end the day.

And now, on to our Elf Buddy...

...underwear humor is a big deal at our house.  My kids thought this was hysterical!  And it was so simple for me to do!

It's Monday...Christmas is 9 days away!  Here are your daily deals...there is still time (especially if you're buying something for New Years Eve!).

 This is Gap's Deal!  Click here to shop.



Loft has 40% off all sale items!  Click here.

J Crew has 30% off site wide!  Click here.


And you still have time for free delivery at Nordstrom by Christmas Eve!  Shop their sales too by clicking here.

Happy shopping sales!



And this recipe is the perfect marriage between coffee and chocolate.  Whoopie Pies are simple to make but they look amazing...and they are always, always the first things to go when I take them to a party.  Click here to see my Chocolate Cappuccino Whoopie Pie recipe (and Meal Planning Monday is there too!!).

Happy Monday!  Tomorrow is our HUGE 12th Day of Christmas!!!  Sheaffer and I are so excited!  

And the winner of the Origami Owl giveaway is Mary Rood!  Congrats Mary!  Please email Sheaffer at pinteresttoldmeto@yahoo.com.

On the 1st Day of Christmas: I explained a lot to you and gave away a HUGE gift card!
On the 2nd Day of Christmas: I wrapped presents galore and gave away jewelry! 
On the 3rd Day of Christmas: I went for a carriage ride and spent all of my awesome Gap cash!
On the 4th Day of Christmas: I talked to you about...so many fun and festive things!
On the 5th Day of Christmas: I told you how to have your own Jammy Cocoa Christmas! 
On the 6th Day of Christmas: We had a snow day and ate lots of yummy goodies!
On the 7th Day of Christmas: I hosted a recipe exchange!
On the 8th Day of Christmas: We met Santa Claus!
On the 9th Day of Christmas: I told you how to hang those Christmas cards!
On the 10th Day of Christmas: I helped you with your men!


No comments:

Post a Comment