Monday, November 4, 2013

Fifty Two Shades of Shay: Christmas Movies


I am a Christmas movie junkie.  And by junkie, I mean that I break into a cold sweat and start panicking the closer I get to December 25 if I haven't watched all of my favorite Christmas movies.  Twice.

It's a problem.

I blame my parents.

Every year, I literally sit down and write in what movie we will watch each night on my calendar.  Yes.  On my calendar you might see something like this...


...I might even write it in a different, bold color...perhaps in a larger font...with a few exclamation points.

I told you...I take Christmas movie watching seriously!

So, what are my faves?  Well...I have many, but I will share with you my top 10.  (By the way, this was not an easy decision...it would be like if you asked me who I liked more, Kensington or Smith...it was that kind of decision ranking my top 10!)  



Here we go...in order of how much I love them...

#10: Miracle on 34th Street
I really, really like this movie!  Last year, Kensington watched it with me for the first time and she loved it too.  I know the original is classic and timeless...but the second one has him in it...

...and thanks to Steel Magnolias, I have a soft spot for Jackson Dylan McDermott.


#9: Christmas with the Kranks
My goal in life is to be Jamie Lee Curtis in this movie.  I strive for it.  She is so awesome in her Christmas knitted-vests with this over-abundance of holiday cheer...it's infectious.  And I want to be like that.  This movie cracks me up every single time!


#8: Elf

Hello?!  Will Ferrell is an elf!  How can you not like this movie?  I could sit and watch Ferrell read the newspaper and probably still laugh until I cry.  Plus, the soundtrack to this movie is really good too!!


#7: Home Alone 2
I don't know why this movie makes me as happy as it does...but it does.  Rarely are sequels equal or close to their original versions but this one is considered a classic in our house.  Forget Gone with the Wind and Casablanca...we honor great movies like Home Alone 2.


#6: Love Actually
I love this movie.  I really, really, really love this movie.  It's actually one of my favorite movies ever (not just on my Christmas movie list).  I do have one disclaimer...there is nudity involved (senseless but nudity nonetheless), so if that concerns you, channels like TBS play the edited version all the time during the Christmas season, so make sure and DVR it!  Here are two reasons why I love this movie...
Hugh and Collin.  They are wonderful in Bridget Jones and equally as wonderful in this film too.  I really, really love this movie.


#5: White Christmas
Do I even need to explain?  Just when I thought I couldn't love this movie any more, my kids fell in love with it too...and now, we all sing songs from it and dance around all year.  This movie just is Christmas.


#4: Home Alone
Yes.  I picked it as number 4.  Go ahead and act like you're too good for this movie to be in your top four, but we all know that you secretly love it...that you can't wait for Kevin to get those bad guys every time you watch.  That's fine.  Pretend like you don't love it...I know you do.  It's just awesome!


#3: A Christmas Story
Classic.  An absolute classic.  I am one of those fools who actually watches it on repeat every Christmas Day on TBS when they play it for 24 hours straight.  I do.  I laugh and laugh and laugh and say "oh fudge" like a hundred times.  This easily could have been my number one...if not for these two...

#2 (Really my #1 but I'm afraid people will riot if I make this #1 and not the one I have listed as #1): The Holiday

Honestly, if I'm being truthful, this is my number 1.  I love every single little detail about this movie. I love the story lines, I love the settings, I love Kate, I love Jack, I love Cameron and I really love...
...Jude.

I seriously do love me some Jude Law (who I know is probably scum in real life but hey...in this movie, he's super charming!).  This is such a great movie.  Love, love, love, love, love.

And love some more.

But...I couldn't leave you with The Holiday (although, I probably should have)...instead, I'm leaving you with the ultimate Christmas movie...

#1: Christmas Vacation

I don't care how many times I see Cousin Eddie in that white sweater and dickey...I laugh...

...and laugh some more.


So, there you have it!  My top 10 favorite Christmas movies!!  I do need to say something...before I get comments and emails...

I don't like It's a Wonderful Life.

Go ahead and send your hate mail to mixandmatchmama@yahoo.com.

I just think it's depressing.  

It does not put me in the holiday spirit.

Andrew loves it and therefore, I watch it once every season.  About 5 years ago, I declared It's a Wonderful Life night the one night a year I take a nap on the couch between 8 and 10 pm.  Andrew watches (and tears up every year) while I nap.  I just don't like it.  Go ahead.  Hate me for it.  I'm still not going to like it.  Maybe Andrew can start his own blog and do his own list of movies and include it?  We can all hope for that.

Don't forget, you can check out my favorite Christmas songs here.

And if you want to pin my favorite movies...here you go...



And if you missed the HUGE Black Friday giveaway from yesterday...it's not too late!

Click here for all the details!

Today I'm posting Salted Caramel Brownie Trifles on 


...and not only are they delicious, they are super, super simple!!  You need to go check them out!  
Click here!

Have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment