Friday, November 8, 2013

Fifty Two Shades of Shay: Scarves


Today's shade is one of my very favorites...scarves.

I love, love, love wearing scarves.  To me, they are the perfect accessory.  They instantly boost whatever you're wearing, they add a layer, they add color and texture, they take the place of a necklace, they are effortless...I'm madly in love with scarves.

Now, don't worry!  If you don't know how to tie a scarf, I'll cover that.  If you don't like things tight around your neck, I'll give you options.  If you don't want to get hot, I'll show you light scarves.  If you want to stay warm, I'll show you warm scarves.  I will show you ladies!

Look at how scarves made these outfits...
...not one of these ladies is wearing anything fancy.  Nope.  Basic jeans and tees but with their scarf thrown over it, it looks extra cool, extra luxe and way more interesting.  

It just makes it look like they got dressed instead of just wearing basic jeans and a tee.

First, let's talk about scarves I love for fall and winter and then we'll move on to lighter scarves and I'll give you some tutorials for how to tie them.

I took my basic striped Banana Republic tee the other day and added my new 5 favorite scarves with it.  See how a basic tee gets so much life when it's paired with a fun scarf?!

Here is how I buy scarves...I like them light and airy with lots of volume for year around wear or I like them heavy and knit.  I don't like small, thin, flat scarves.  If they don't give me volume, they're just in the way. 

 First up, the 5 scarves I just showed you...


Now, I need to give all of the credit to those two fringe scarves to Sheaffer.  She called and told me about these scarves and then I saw them on her blog...and immediately fell in love!  She couldn't have said it better...this scarf just styles itself.  Period.  You throw it on (it's an infinity, so it's easy to put on) and it instantly looks styled without you having to fuss with it one bit.  Sheaffer ALWAYS knows what she's talking about which is why I listen to her about all things fashion related.  Right this second, click here to follow her on Face Book because trust me, you'll be so glad you did!  You also need to click here to follow her blog.  Sheaffer will not only make you laugh, she'll totally reinvent your closet and open your eyes to so many great styles.  This scarf also comes in 3 other colors.

This scarf made me squeal in the store.  I literally squealed.  They're these cozy infinity scarves that have just a hint of sparkle to them.  PERFECT for Christmas and the holidays (or any day when you need a little sparkle!).  I really had a hard time deciding on which color I wanted.  They were all so festive and fun (plus warm and cozy!).  The white one looked like snow, the black one looked like something fun to wear in the evening, the light pink and grey ones looked like winter...such tough decisions!  I ended up with the brown scarf because I thought for my wardrobe, it would carry me from September through March.  Love this scarf!  And it doesn't need to be styled, it just slips right over your head and it's done.  No wrapping...no twisting...done.



To see the rainbow colored scarf, click here.  Plus, you'll find it in 3 other color combos as well.

And for my fun floral scarf (perfect for all seasons!), click here.


My favorite Infinity Scarves for fall and winter
The easiest scarf to style is the Infinity Scarf.  You just wrap it around twice and you're done.  No loose ends, nothing complicated...simple.  Here are a few infinity scarves that I'm in love with this season (and considering that my birthday is Friday, I'm hoping my mom is taking notes right now!).

 I wore this one a lot in NYC and you girls emailed me like crazy about it...well, it's back in stock now!  And only $18!  See...

And here are some more infinity scarves...

Simple, cozy, $22, and comes in 5 other beautiful colors.

If you can't afford a cashmere sweater, a cashmere scarf will give you the same feel.  And this one also comes in 4 other polka dot colors too.

Can't afford a cashmere scarf?  This polka dot option isn't cashmere but it's half the price.  Everyone deserves a little polka dot in their life!


And wow!  Your basic tee just got a whole lot more interesting!  This scarf also comes in 2 other colors.

For lots of other infinity scarf choices, click here.  (Because I could go on for days about my love of the infinity scarf!)  And there is no styling to an infinity scarf, you wrap it over your neck once or twice (depending on how long it is) and you're done.


My favorite scarves for year around (light and airy!)
Light and airy scarves are the perfect thing to throw over any outfit.  Seriously!  Winter, spring, summer or fall, a light and airy scarf is better than a necklace for your accessory.  Just look...


It just adds a little oomph to their look.  An extra something special.

I went back to that same basic Banana Republic striped tee but this time, I added some light (non-infinity) scarves to it.

I've told you multiple times about both of these scarves!  The plaid one is just perfection for fall and winter...and it's LIGHT!  You won't get hot in it but you'll look totally season appropriate (plus it comes in 3 other color combos).

And then the navy and leopard...my heart sores for this one.  They are sold out of the navy but it also comes in 4 other colors that will make you happy.  Click here to see them all.

Did you see how I tied them?  I didn't tie them exactly, I draped them.  If I'm not wearing an infinity scarf, then this is how I wear it...you take your oblong scarf and hold it out in front of you with it in a straight line, then you put the ends over your back and then wrap it around back to the front.

Here are a few more light and airy scarves I love right now...

I wear this one all the time!  And it's only $18!




This Ink Blot Scarf is just cool.  It also comes in 3 other colors.

This scarf is great because the colors aren't too bold.


Pretttttttttty!



I repeat...start with the scarf in front of your body, put the ends behind you, and then pull the ends to the opposite sides to bring them front.  Then just pull the front part away from your neck and it's draped.

I love this little Nordstrom video about different ways to tie a scarf.  It will give you some great ideas!


And I couldn't end today's post without a little montage of my beloved scarves...
...you see, it truly is a Shade of Me :).  It's an easy, fast, colorful way to jazz up any old outfit.  I truly am a scarf girl :).

And don't forget...scarves are the perfect gift to give this holiday season.  No matter the age or the shape of the girl, a scarf will fit.  They are perfect gifts to give friends, moms, daughters, grandmothers, nieces, babysitters, teachers...pretty much any lady in your life.

Wear a scarf today and think of me!  (And I updated Shop My Closet with scarves too!)

And take a look at this beauty...

...my Salted Caramel Whoopie Pies are on my foodie blog today.

And there is still time to win our Christmas Card Giveaway!  Click here!

XOXO

Find me on Twitter here.
Find me on Face Book here.
Find me on Pinterest here
Find me on Instagram here

No comments:

Post a Comment