Friday, October 11, 2013

All about Kensington

Today, I thought I'd do a post all about Kensington and then next week, I'll do one all about Smith.  Years from now, I want to make sure that I look back and have documented them each individually and specifically.

I feel really blessed and very frightened at the same time to be raising both a son and a daughter.   I feel like I need to be well versed in all things boy and all things girl...and that is often overwhelming!   Today, here are a few things about my sweet K.

Right now, my girl is into 3 things...
Ballet.  She loves ballet.  I really thought she would like gymnastics and/or tap more...but she really loves ballet the most.  After 3 years, we have recently stopped taking gymnastics and next year, she only wants to take ballet.  

Oh my goodness!  This girl can cook!  Now...I know she's my daughter and all but seriously, I didn't really realize my love of cooking until I was ten, but at five, this girl knows she loves to make food.  She can tell you what it takes to make a cake (flour, vegetable oil, eggs, etc), she can use a knife correctly and safely, she measures accurately, she can set the oven temps and timers...she is in the kitchen with me every day.  And I love it.


And when Kensington grows up, she wants to live in Paris.  I know I've said this a million times but I love all things French (which is why I studied it for 6 years in school and minored in it in college).  Kensington asks me every day to translate things into French and one of her favorite things to do is play on my iPad and use my kid language apps (in French, of course!).  She says she is going to study baking in France and Ebby Lee is going to go with her and study art.  And this is why Erika and I do a lot of this...


...reading about how to raise up Godly Christian girls.  Oh my.  We read.

My daily prayer is that I raise my daughter up in the Lord so that I can send her out to shine for Him wherever He leads her.  My goal is not to keep her here under my watch all the time, my goal is to help her rely completely on the Lord and to follow His direction for her life and to go.  To go and do what God calls her to do.  And so I read.

Of course, I read the Bible every day but I am so thankful that the Lord blesses so many wonderful writers with the amazing gift of encouraging, motivating and instructing parents on how to raise Godly kids.  Thanks to my friend Kelly's recommendation, I'm currently reading Raising a Princess and before that, I read Bringing Up Girls by James Dobson.  Both fabulous books!


Since we're talking about Kensington today, I thought I'd tell you what she said on Saturday.  We were talking about her hair and she told me she had hair like Belle (because it's always about a Disney Princess in her world...) and Tarzan.  I said, "You mean like Jane from Tarzan?".  And she said, "No.  My hair looks like Belle's and Tarzan's."
I laughed out loud!  I'm pretty sure my daughter is the only one in the world that is associating her hair with Tarzan's.

 Last month, Nordstrom generously gave us a $1,000 gift card to giveaway on the blog (so sweet of them!) and asked if I wouldn't mind sharing some of my favorite playtime clothes with my readers.  Well, I am always more than happy to share things that I truly love and spend my own money on for my kiddos, so I agreed.  

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Nordstrom is the best place to buy shoes and clothes (especially play clothes!) for your kiddos because of their awesome return and exchange policy.  Here are some of my favorite playtime clothes for Kensington this summer.  Thank you again Nordstrom for always generously providing gift cards for my readers!

Kensington is a dress kind of girl.  Which means she also wears dresses for playtime (sigh).  I'm always on the lookout for cute, easy to wash and dry, not too fancy play clothes...
I bought this dress for Kensington to wear in Hawaii because I know she'll wear it all summer long too!  It's cute enough for her to wear to church but practical enough for play wear too.  And it washed and dried beautifully!  (She was not smiling because she said she had her "serious" face on with her glasses...sigh...girls.)

I also really love this dress because I have it paired here with her leggings and denim jacket and then this summer, she'll just wear it with sandals.  Any dress that I can make work every season is a winner in my book!



And here are a few other of my favorite playtime dresses and jumpers...



Just click on the images above to get the details!

And one of these days, I'm going to convince Kensington that she needs to embrace the shorts like her mama.  How cute are these?!?!


Speaking of those strawberry red shorts...wouldn't she look adorable in them when she goes to a Red Sox game?!
Another sweet fact about my girl is that she is a Red Sox fan just like her mama.  She can correctly identify several of the Sox players, she knows that the Sox play in Fenway Park, she knows all about Boston and she knows the Yankees stink. I couldn't be more proud (and her dad couldn't be more disappointed).  I had so much fun taking her to Boston last May that this year, I'm doing it again.  I think both of our hearts now officially belong to the Red Sox.

Now...the biggest thing Kensington and I disagree on are her shoes.  I know that sounds silly but it is so true. She is reaaaaaaaaaally picky about which shoes she wears and nothing (I repeat nothing) wears me out more than taking her to a shoe store, trying shoes on her, her loving said shoes, taking her home, her wearing said shoes for 5 minutes and then her saying she doesn't like them any more.  It happens all the time.  Sigh.

Just now, I pulled out her 4 favorite pairs of shoes from her closet...
If I don't stray from these four pairs, then we're pretty good (for spring and summer...for winter, she loves her Uggs!).  These four babies are well worn, well loved and take her from the pool to school to play time to church and everywhere in between.

I'm a big fan of the pink Crocs (also in red and silver...we have silver too) because she can wear them everywhere and they wipe and clean right off.  Since they're closed toe, she can wear them to school, she wears them to the park, to the pool...everywhere.  And as far as Crocs go, they're the best lookin' ones.

The next shoe is a Tom...who doesn't love a Tom?!?!

Then, we have her flower sandals (that have those fabulous no-slip soles so that she doesn't fall!).

And then her ballerina flats (with sparkles of course!) are for church and dressier occasions.


People often ask me if we call her something else (since Kensington is so long) but no...she's a Kensington.  She's five.  She loves stuffed animals.  She loves writing names and adding bubbles dots on the points.  She loves to sing.  She loves lip gloss.  She loves any kind of accessory.  She loves playing with her friends.  She loves Lucky Charms.  She loves Jesus.  And we love her.

Next week, Smith :).

And for dinner tonight...


...you've been asking me to share my favorite pot luck suppers, so today is the day!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment