Thursday, January 2, 2014

CrockPot Swiss Chard Soup Recipe



Day 202.

Swiss chard! In a soup!

I don't really have anything other than that to say.

This recipe came from my new friend, Astrid, who grows a lot of chard in her garden, and needed a way to use it up. So we crockpotted the chard.



The Ingredients.

--2 big bunches of swiss chard, chopped (I only chopped the green part and gave the stems to the guinea pigs)
--1 cup baby carrots, chopped
--1 onion, chopped
--7 baby red potatoes, or equivalent, chopped
--5 cloves of garlic, chopped
--1/4 cup fresh basil (hey! guess what? chop this, too!)
--5 cups broth (I used chicken, but if you want this to be vegetarian you should use veggie broth)
--1/2 t black pepper
--1 t kosher salt

(you might want to add more salt and pepper after cooking, to taste)

--garnish with Parmesan/Romano cheese, optional


The Directions.

Wash and chop all of your vegetables, and add them to the crockpot. This is a lot of stuff, so I'd stick to a 5qt or larger crockpot.

Add whatever kind of broth you are using.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Soup tastes best the longer you cook it.

Serve with some cheese on top, and some crusty bread.


The Verdict.

This tastes like swiss chard. In soup. If you don't like swiss chard, you won't like this soup.

It reminded me a lot of the cabbage soup from the cabbage soup diet. And that soup kind of gives me nightmares.


We didn't save the leftovers.

But I really, really, really appreciate Astrid for sending me this recipe. I needed something like this in my repertoire, and I bet there are at least a dozen people out there who really like swiss chard.
:-0

No comments:

Post a Comment