Friday, January 10, 2014

Tuna and Noodle Casserole in the CrockPot


Day 164.

Hello! It's day 5 of Retro Week. So far we've had instant mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sloppy joes, and cabbage rolls. Today I'll show you how I made tuna and noodles in the crockpot.

I grew up on tuna and noodles, and loved them. I remember eating them cold out of the pot for breakfast because I loved them so much. We either used cream of mushroom soup or golden mushroom soup, and mixed it with a can of drained tuna and cooked noodles. It was wonderful.

I was certain that the tuna and noodles would work well in the crockpot. I have done pasta before, with the ziti, spinach and cheese noodles, and the lasagna. But this didn't work. Well, it cooked, and it was edible, but no one liked it, and it most certainly didn't taste like my childhood tuna and noodles.


This is what I did. If anyone can "fix" it---please let me know!



The Ingredients:

--1 lb dried pasta
--6oz can of tuna (I mistakenly got it packed in oil. that set off a domino effect of bad tuna casserole karma, I believe.)
--2 cups soy milk
--1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
--1 cup frozen peas (to add later)
--1/2 cup crushed tortilla or potato chips (to add later, optional)

If you'd like to use canned cream of something soup, measure it out and add enough milk to achieve 4 cups of liquid.


The Directions.


Spray your crockpot with cooking spray.

Add the dry noodles into the crock, and mix in the soup, milk, cheese, and drained tuna.

Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.

I was AMAZED at how quickly this cooked on low. It was pretty much done at 2 hours. I couldn't believe it.

30 minutes before serving time, stir in frozen peas, and make sure the crunchy pasta on top gets moved to the bottom of the crock. Top with chips, if desired.


The Verdict.

There was nothing wrong with this, but we didn't like it. The pasta got overly cooked and was kind of gloppy and starchy. It needed more seasoning---and I should have thought to add a bunch of salt because I was using my own soup.

We went out for Japanese.

and now my kitchen has a crockput FULL of tuna and noodles sitting in it, that needs to be scraped out since we left it out all night. We might have to move.
--> I just saw that on The Crispy Cook's website, she has compiled a huge list of 70 gluten-free blogs! Holy toledo, what a resource! <--

No comments:

Post a Comment