Monday, January 13, 2014

CrockPot Strawberry Jam Recipe



Day 150!
yay! only 216 (because of leap year) to go! Not that I'm counting or anything...


I made jam in the crockpot, and it's delicious. The above photo was taken out in the grass because the inside photos came out really dark and the jam looked brown.

Making jam in your crockpot is super easy, and super sticky. Keep a container of wipies near by---the stick seems to spread.


The Ingredients.
--4 pounds of fresh strawberries
--3 cups of sugar
--1-2 boxes (1.75 oz) of pectin


The Directions.

Wash all of the strawberries, and cut out the stem. Quarter them and throw into your crockpot. I gave all of the strawberry leaves and stems to the guinea pigs and they were so excited they did back flips.
Use a potato masher to squish the strawberries and to create some liquid. We didn't have a potato masher so my helper used the hand mixer attachments.

Add the sugar and pectin and smash some more.

Cover and cook on low for a hundred million years.

Or 10-12 hours; same thing. I used one box of pectin because that is what I bought. After about 10 hours, if your berries are still not jelling the way that you'd like them to, add another 1/2 box to a full box. You can test the "jell" by putting a small amount in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
I don't have enough Little House on the Prairie in me to fuss with proper jarring, so I used a well-washed jelly jar and made tupperwares to give away to family. If you would like to can, here's a great resource.
Keep your jam in the freezer if you'd like it to top toast and sandwiches, or in the refrigerator for more of a syrup or ice-cream topping.
The Verdict.
YUM! This is very good.
did I mention the stick?

No comments:

Post a Comment