Monday, January 13, 2014

CrockPot African Peanut Soup



Day 149.

I was looking through All Recipes the other day and stumbled on African Peanut Soup. The ingredients were simple, and we happened to have everything on hand. I was excited to give it a go, as there were 111 positive reviews.

The result was delicious--a thick, hearty soup with a bit of spice and a beautiful peanut flavor.




The Ingredients.
--1 yellow onion, diced
--2 green onions, chopped
--2 red bell peppers, chopped
--4 cloves minced garlic
--1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, with liquid
--8 cups vegetable broth
--1/4 t black pepper
--1/4 - 1/2 t chili powder
--1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
--1 cup peanut butter (to add later)
--dollop of sour cream and a bit of tabasco sauce (optional)

The Directions.

--wash and chop all of the vegetables, and put into the crock. Add the entire can of tomatoes, the uncooked rice, and the spices.
--pour in the vegetable broth.

--cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for about 4. The soup is done when the onions are fully cooked and are translucent.

--stir in peanut butter, and cook on high for 20-30 minutes, or until fully heated through.

add a dollop of sour cream and a touch of tobasco sauce


The Verdict.

I really liked this! I REALLY liked it the next day for lunch. It had thickened overnight, and the peanut butter flavor was much more pronounced. The original recipe asked for 2/3 of a cup of crunchy peanut butter, but I used a whole cup of creamy all-natural. I don't like the little pieces of peanut in crunchy peanut butter in a sandwich, so I was pretty sure the texture in soup would weird me out. The rice kind of disappeared, and just added to the thickness, which was okay with me, but is something to note.

My kids refused to try this. I tried, but they were pretty stubborn in their decision that peanut butter shouldn't be cooked unless it's in cookies or brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment