Friday, January 3, 2014

CrockPot Indonesian Chicken Recipe



Day 198.


Suzanne emailed me this Indonesian Peanut Butter Chicken recipe last week, and I immediately printed it out. I had everything on hand, and knew that it was something that I needed to make.


So I did.


In the CrockPot.


Suzanne said that she had originally gotten it from Leanne Ely's book, Saving Dinner. I subscribed to Leanne's dinner service emails for a while when I was first married---I liked the variety of the dishes, and it was a valuable service for our family while we were learning how to meal plan.
The Ingredients.
--enough chicken parts to feed a family of 4. I used 17 frozen drummettes and wings.
--2 T soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat-free are GF)
--2 chopped cloves of garlic
--1 1/2 t sesame oil
--1/4 t cayenne pepper
--1/3 cup peanut butter
--1/2 t ground ginger
--garnish with sesame seeds and lime wedges; optional
The Directions.
--put the peanut butter into your crockpot and turn it to high so it can begin to melt
--add the other sauce ingredients
--stir to mix
--add your chicken; toss to coat. My chicken was frozen solid and kind of all stuck together. It didn't seem to matter.
cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. This is done when the chicken is cooked through and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender it will become, but it may fall off the bone if you cook too long.
If your crockpot isn't at least 2/3 full, keep an eye on it so the peanut butter doesn't burn. You may need to stir a few times.
The Verdict.
This was pretty good, and the kids liked the little drumsticks a lot. Adam and I both thought that it needed either honey or sugar and some red chili pepper flakes. I don't know if Leanne was assuming that we were going to use natural peanut butter, or the sugary kind. If I made this again, I'd add 2T of either white or brown sugar. And I'd sprinkle red chili flakes on the grownup portions.
I really liked the squeeze of lime.
Thank you SO much, Suzanne! This was a great middle-of-the-week dinner for us, and it took about 6 minutes to prepare. Other than the garlic, there was no chopping---yay!
If you'd like to go vegetarian, I made peanut butter tofu earlier in the year with a slightly different peanut sauce. I remember liking it lots.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
psst. The CrockPot Give-Away contest is still open until Friday, 5pm Pacific. You need to open the comment section on the giveaway post and leave a comment there; it's too much work (for me!) to go through the other posts and copy and paste your comment into the giveaway post. Please go comment there! please. xoxo :-0

No comments:

Post a Comment