Monday, October 21, 2013

Fifty Two Shades of Shay: My Skincare Routine


All right...I would like to start off today's post with a disclaimer...I feel silly talking about my skincare routine.  That being said, I get a lot of comments about my skin...and I do make a conscientious effort to keep my skin looking good, so I made it a Shade of Shay.  This has been one of those topics you ladies have been asking me about since I started my Shades of Shay last year...so I guess it's time I oblige.

First things first, I'm about to honestly show you all of the products I use...I'm not saying you must use any of these products...I'm just honestly showing you what I use and the steps I take.  I know there are a lot of great products out there and I've tried many of them...this isn't a sales pitch, this is just what I use (and you're asking, so I'm telling).  I would also like to thank genetics.  Some things in life are just simply genetic...and if I look at my mom and grandmother, I must recognize genetics' role in my skin.

And I know this post is detailed...and I know I do a lot.  But I'm not going to lie to you ladies and say, "oh, I just wash my face and go to bed" because that's not what I do.  I have a strategic plan that I've perfected over the years.  You asked, I'm answering.

Here is what I do to take care of my skin... 


I'm no expert...but I do know this...when I'm drinking a ton of water and eating more veggies, fruit and lean protein, my skin looks better.  When I turned 30, I stopped drinking any kind of soft drink (diet or not), started drinking a ton of water, upped my daily intake of veggies, fruits and lean protein and reduced the amount of sugar I ate.  I notice that when I travel and indulge in some of my favorite foods...my skin starts to suffer.  By the end of almost every vacation I'm on...my skin looks kind of icky (compared to my normal routine).  

So, I do think that my skin reflects what I'm eating.  When I'm eating healthier choices and drinking a lot of water...it's looking better than when I'm more relaxed about my diet.

And for fun...here's me indulging in vacation food...because hey, that's part of the fun when traveling!
I'm a girl who appreciates good food when on vacation :).



I have probably said this phrase 896 times on my blog...but it needs to be said again...I love my Clarisonic.


I love this little face cleaning thing so much!  I use mine every morning with a little drop of cleanser and Andrew uses his twice a day.  I didn't know exactly how much I loved it until I went on a vacation with Andrew for a week and by the end, my skin looked so dull...because I hadn't packed my Clarisonic!  From then on, I started throwing this baby in my suitcase with each trip...because I really do notice a difference when I use it!  We each have the Clarisonic Mia 2 and we replace the heads every 3 months.  We've had ours for about 3 years now and they work perfectly!  Love this thing!

As for cleansers, I love using either Cetaphil on mine (found at the drugstore/grocery store) or lately, I've been using Obagi Foaming Gel Cleanser (per my dermatologist recommendation).  Just one little drop on your Clarisonic and you're done!  Again, I love, love, love this thing!



  
I do these steps twice a day...cream, serum, lotion.  I always use an eye cream (morning and night), a Vitamin C serum and a great lotion.  I wash my face in the morning (with that Clarisonic) and then apply these three things.  And then I wash my face at night, and do the same.  There are many great products out there but these are the ones I personally use...

I use this Neocutis eye cream twice a day.  My dermatologist recommend it and I love it!  I really think it helps with lines, wrinkles and darkness.


I use this Vitamin C Serum on my face twice a day.  Just a few little drops (seriously, 3 or 4 drops) and I'm good.  It's just an extra dose of vitamins on my face.  Love it!



And then there's this stuff.  I so wish I sold this.  I wish I was the brand ambassador for this.  I with I could meet the person who invented this and kiss them on the lips.  This is Journee Day Cream...and it's the best thing ever.  Like really ever.  Like don't try and convince me otherwise because I will not believe you kind of ever.  I fell in love with this day cream and also use it as my daily sunscreen (and reapply it throughout the day), then I saw that Allure Magazine had named it best day cream...and yeah, I loved it even more.

This stuff will change your face.  I really feel like it will.  Several of my friends have asked me what I use and after I recommend this, they all have glowing (pun intended) reviews.  I keep a bottle at home, in my gym bag and my pool bag.  One bottle will last you about 3 months because you use it so sparingly.  Love it!

And for night...I use its counterpart...


I mix a small drop of this night lotion with a drop of Retin A (you can get a prescription for that from your dermatologist) every night after I wash my face, apply eye cream and serum.  This stuff works great too!  I mix in the Retin A because any dermatologist will tell you, that's like miracle cream.  I've actually been using  Retin A since I was 18.  I use it along with the night cream because even though Retin A is great...it's just Vitamin A without anything else...and I need a little moisturizer for night too.  It's a great combo.




OK...I'm not literally BFF with my dermatologist but I see her pretty regularly, so I feel like we're friends.  When I turned 30, I decided to visit my local dermatologist for a mole check and an over-all skincare talk.  Here is what I learned...

1. This is the only skin I get in life...so I better take good care of it.
2. It's much easier to be preventative than to repair damage.  Why not start at 30 taking really good care of my skin instead of going back to her at 50 with a list of problems I would like her to correct and fix.
3. Good skincare is all about routine.
4. Chemical Peels and Microdermabrasion are my friends.

So...let's start with number 4.  (And I have a feeling that I'm going to get grief for this one!)  I get a chemical peel or microderm every month from my dermatologist. This isn't a relaxing day at the spa...I go in and 10 minutes later I leave.  There aren't candles burning or spa music playing...it's a doctor's office, I go in, get my face messed with and leave until next month.  

The chemical peels are usually 20% salicylic acid peels and they just get all of the gunk off the top layer of my face helping my face turnover newer cells faster.  I get them so regularly that they don't cause me any redness or discomfort.  I get them, get out and go about my day.

I get them one month and then the next month, I get microderm.  The microderm just scrubs off all of the gunk the peel left behind the month before.  

I've been doing this every month for almost 3 years now...and I think this really, really, really helps!

Another reason to do these things at your dermatologist and not at a spa is because they're much cheaper there!  I'm not going to lie...all of my friends do this now.  Like all of them.  The results are totally worth it.  I really recommend finding a good dermatologist in your area to analyse your skin too (and do a mole check!).  A good derm is worth their weight in gold!



I read a lot of magazines.  A lot.  And almost every month, one of my magazines will say how less is more with foundation, concealer and powders.  The more you wear, the more you draw attention to your fine lines and wrinkles.  Well, I really try and adhere to that policy, so I don't wear much.  I have tried a million things over the years (and loved many of them) but right now, here's what I use...

Right now, I'm using Bobbi Brown's Tinted Moisturizer (in the Light Tint shade).  It goes on really light like a face lotion and blends in well.  I only use a little bit and apply it with my Beauty Blender sponge.

Now...I don't wear powder on my face unless I feel really, really shiny.  But honestly, I probably only bust out the powder 1 or 2 days a month.  I like that creamy, glowy, not matte finish on my face.  When I do use a little powder, I use this one by Laura Mercier because it's light and not too heavy. 

Instead of a traditional under eye concealer, I was turned on to this several years ago and it's been my favorite go-to ever since...


It's YSL's Touche Eclat and it has a cult following.  Seriously...people are mad over this stuff and for good reason!  I use it every day in the Luminous Radiance shade.



And my final tip...I wear sunscreen every single day on my face and every day on my body during the summer and spring.  I'm not going to go to all of this trouble and get my skin looking good and then let the sun go and damage it.  Whenever you see me with a tan...it's coming from sort of a bottle.  I'm that old lady out by the pool wearing SPF 80 and sitting in the shade...I'm not letting the sun do damage to me.

As for what self-tanners I use...that's another day and another Shade of Shay :).

I hope this answers all of your skincare questions.  I'm never trying to make myself look younger...I just want to look the best I can for the age I am.  I also want to protect my skin because this is it...the only skin I get...I need to take care of it.

On Mix and Match Mama today...Pizza Boats...


...they can be lunch, a snack, an appetizer or a little supper.  They're so simple and very yummy!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment