Wednesday, January 1, 2014

CrockPot Chex Party Mix Recipe


Day 207.

Way back on the 8th day of this year, I made a Nuts and Bolts Trail Mix in the crockpot. It was delicious, and we ate it straight for two days.
Since then, General Mills has re-formulated Rice Chex cereal to make it Gluten Free. Which rocks. It overjoys my mommy heart to know that every single grocery store will carry a tasty, affordable cereal--a cereal that can be found when traveling, and something grandma can easily pick up to keep on hand.

For a while, some stores had the old version on the shelves until they sold out. If you are picking some up at the store, make sure it has the Gluten Free label.

This is actually the 4th or 5th time I've made Chex Mix in the crockpot with the new cereal---I kept forgetting to take photos. This is so very easy to throw together for an after-school snack, for a boring Sunday afternoon, etc. I love that I'm not heating up the house with the oven or monitoring closely, worried about burnage.


The Ingredients.

--5 Cups General Mills Rice Chex Cereal
--1-2 cups of dry roasted peanuts (salted or not, your choice)
--2 cups pretzel sticks (I used Glutino)
--1/2 t onion powder
--1/2 t seasoned salt
--3 T butter
--1 1/2 T Worcestershire Sauce (Lea and Perrins is GF.)


The Directions.

--put the butter into the bottom of your crockpot.
--turn it on low
--add the onion powder and seasoned salt
--add the Worcestershire sauce
--add dry ingredients
--stir. if the butter is still clumpy, it's okay
--cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring every 45 min or so

Dump out onto a cookie sheet to cool.

Serve and enjoy.


The Verdict.

We ate every last ounce of this in one day. It is seriously addicting. The kids liked it immensely, and have requested me to make it again today. But with less peanuts.

The recipe that I have written here has less butter than the original Chex Party Mix recipe, and I was pleased that it was still enough to coat the cereal, peanuts, and pretzels nicely without a layer of grease left on my hands. Or the kids hands.

because then the couch stays clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment