Tuesday, January 7, 2014

CrockPot Philly Cheesesteak Soup Recipe


Day 178.

mmmm. Philly Cheesesteaks. I made them earlier in the year, and they were delicious. But perhaps maybe you don't have bread in the house, or you don't want a bunch of carbs, or you don't want to chew a lot... guess what? I have a solution!

Make Cheesesteak soup! In the crockpot!

This was a nice weekday dinner for us. I got the soup prepped and plugged in by 9am, and we spent the day out and about and came home to a hot, flavorful, and hearty soup that we all enjoyed. We served it with two salads: spinach and potato.

This would be a fun (and memorable) dish to take to a pot-luck or recipe exchange.



The Ingredients.


--1 pound thinly cut beef strips (I used beef chuck steaks that I cut with kitchen shears)
--4 cups beef broth
--2 cups skim or 2% milk
--1 T butter
--1 yellow onion, cut in chunks
--2 bell peppers (I used one green, one red)
--2 t gluten free Worcestershire sauce
--3 cloves chopped garlic
--1/2 t black pepper
--1 t kosher salt
--8oz provolone cheese (to add at the very end)


The Directions.

Add the 1 tablespoon of butter to your crockpot and turn it on high to melt. Cut up your meat and add it to the crock, swirling it into the butter to coat. Add the chopped peppers, onion, and garlic. Add the Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir in the beef broth and milk.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 5-6. The soup is done when the meat has reached the desired tenderness.

Before serving, stir in the provolone cheese. It will melt in stringy chunks---yum.



The Verdict.

This is a delicious soup. I was very pleased with the flavor of the broth. The broth is thin, if you feel you'd like a thicker broth, you can make a roux on the stove with the butter and some flour before adding to the crockpot. I don't like cooking before cooking, and opted to not bother with this step. But I also don't care if the broth is thin. If thin broth bothers you --make the roux.


My kids really liked this. They didn't eat the vegetables, though. I garnished with a bit of shredded Parmesan before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment