Sunday, January 5, 2014

CrockPot Blue Cheese Potato Soup with Olive Tapenade


Day 189.

I found a Swanson Broth recipe book at the grocery store a few months ago, and impulsively bought it. I like soup, and most soup recipes (I would say all, but they threw in some gazpacho) can be converted nicely to slow-cooking.

I thought the name of this soup sounded fancy and sheeshy, and folded the corner of the page down as soon as I read the title.

I finally had the chance to make it this weekend.

The Ingredients.
--12-15 red baby potatoes (chopped, but not skinned)
--4 cups vegetable broth (I would have bought Swanson's to be supportive, but my regular grocery store didn't have any--just beef and chicken. So I went to Trader Joe's.)

--1 T balsamic vinegar

--1 chopped white onion

--4 cloves smashed and chopped garlic

for garnish: -

-1 T prepared olive tapenade (I needed to go to Trader Joe's for this, too)

--crumbled blue cheese


The Directions.


Wash and cube the red potatoes, and throw into the crockpot. Chop up the white onion and garlic, and add them, too. Cover vegetables with the broth, and stir in one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.


Cover your crockpot with it's lid, and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for about 5. This is finished when the potatoes and onion are tender.


Use a stick-blender to soupify. The soup will be a cross between a soup and chowder in consistency.
Top with crumbled blue cheese and olive tapenade.

The Verdict.


This is not good soup. There is hardly any flavor at all, and the color was gross. I didn't like the
consistency, either. The only somewhat redeeming value was the blue cheese and the tapenade, but you could put that on a boiled giraffe's tongue and it would taste good. I should have known when I couldn't find the recipe posted on Swanson's website. grr. The picture looked so good, though...




psst... Me! on TV! Wednesday, July 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment